Maid Salary in Mumbai
The salary of the maids depends on many factors such as:
1. Your locality
2. Size of the house
3. No. of family members
4. Amount of work
5. Time when the maid has to report to work (For odd hours, you have to pay extra)Salary Chart:
|Type of Maid in Mumbai||Salary|
|Chhutta Kaam (2 BHK)||Rs 1200-1400 per task*|
|6 hours Maid/ Babysitter||Rs 7,000 - Rs 9,000|
|8 hours Maid/ Babysitter||Rs 10,000 - Rs 11,000|
|10 hours Maid/ Babysitter||Rs 12,000 - Rs 13,000|
|12 hours Maid/ Babysitter||Rs 14,000 - Rs 15,000|
|Full day (Live-in) Maid/ Babysitter/Cook||Rs 18,000-Rs 20,000|
|Cook for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner for 4 people (visit twice)||Rs 7,500- Rs 8,500|
|Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner for 2 people (visit twice)||Rs 5,000- Rs 6,000|
|Only Lunch or only dinner for 2 people (visit once)||Rs 2,500- Rs 3,000|
|Only Lunch or only dinner for 4 people (visit once)||Rs 4,000- Rs 4,500|
|Patient Care (Bed ridden patient) (12 hours)||Rs 15,000 - Rs 16,000|
*-Brooming and sweeping is considered one single task. Dish-washing is another task.
^- Salary depends on many factors including location. Premium to be added for South Mumbai.
1. For housekeeping maids (who do chhutta kaam): These maids generally work in multiple houses. They do not work based on number of hours but based on task. They leave the house as soon as the task is finished. The price generally ranges from Rs 1200 p.m. to Rs 1400 p.m. per task.
Brooming and sweeping is considered one single task. Dish-washing is another task. Washing clothes (without washing machine) is another task. For light dusting, maids charge approx Rs 1000 - 1500 p.m. as dusting is something what many maids are not ready to do.
2. For maids working on hourly basis: The prevailing rate is Rs 1200-1400 per hour per month. For eg. a babysitter working for 6 hours will charge Rs 7000-9000 p.m. A maid working for 10 hours will charge Rs 12,000-13,000 p.m.
3. Cooks: Cooks do not charge based on number of hours but based on the amount of cooking involved. It also depends upon whether you are asking her to visit your house once or twice. If you are looking for a cook who can prepare standard Indian food, the rates are as follows:
|Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner for 4 people (visit twice)||Rs 7500- Rs 8500|
|Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner for 2 people (visit twice)||Rs 5000- Rs 6000|
|Only Lunch or only dinner for 4 people (visit once)||Rs 4000- Rs 4500|
If you want the cook to prepare non-vegetarian food as well, you have to add a
premium of Rs 1000-1500 to the above figures.
This article deals with the topic in greater detail: https://jobnukkad.com/blog/hire-home-cooks-in-mumbai
4. Live-in maids (24 hours maids): There is a huge shortage of live-in maids and therefore there is quite a variation in the salary range. It ranges from Rs 18,000-Rs 20,000. We have observed that the salary of full time maids has increased from a minimum of Rs 15,000 p.m. to a minimum of Rs 18,000 p.m in the last one year. This is because more and more families are preferring to hire a Full time maid compared to a part time maid.
This blog talks about whether you should hire a part time maid or a full time maid: https://jobnukkad.com/blog/full-time-maid-vs-part-time-maid
5. Jaapa maid: Jaapa maid is usually hired for 2 months post baby’s birth. They specialise in handling new-born babies including massaging and feeding the baby. They also massage the mother. They charge Rs 25,000-Rs 35,000 per month (live-in nannies).
Location Premium: Maid’s salary is a function of demand and supply. Therefore, areas which have slums in close proximity have a lower salary. On the other hand, locations where there are no slums have to pay a higher salary. The above mentioned figures are applicable for Mumbai’s suburbs. There is a 20-25% premium to be added for South Mumbai.